Sunday 23 September 2007

Rain

Ok, so noone told me it would rain. Well, they did, but they said that over the year it rains in total for about a week. And that was in winter. It seemed to shock everyone then, when it rained yesterday. It was proper bouncing off the ground. Stair-rods. And today. That's 2 days of that week.

I hope that there isn't going to be too much rain. I've had a lot rain this summer. Britain didn't seem to have a summer this year.

The other day I went to an artist's lecture, which was really interesting. I liked the artist's work. She was called Lisa Anne Auerbach. At the end of it, during the Q & A, one student (MFA Art) asked a series of questions that were really expressing how he didn't like many aspects of the artists work. There was no chair or moderator to intervene, so he just kept going. This seemed to be in very poor taste, although the artist took it well. Surely he could have conveyed points in an objective way, and once he made his point he could have shut up. I was totally taken aback by this behaviour. I was really pleased when I talked about it later than everyone else felt the same way. Everyone I spoke to that is. The Art MFA are generally a bit more in your face though.

I still really like my class mates. We saw half the people on our course's work in the last Crit class. I'm showing my work in the next class - its just an introduction thing - 20 minutes. Its on Tuesday - I'll blog how it goes.

On Crits, the normal Grad MFA Photography Crit is 3 hours long and that will be for 2 people. It is recommended that the legendary class 'Post Studio' be taken in your second year, when you can handle it. They look at 2 peoples work in that class too. It starts at 10am and carries on as long as it takes. Last week that was 9 hours! Can you imagine that. They were let out for a lunch break.

2 comments:

  1. 9 hours of crit!! Lordy. No one needs that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I heard that last year they fitted in 3 people per crit. They started at 10 am and finished at 12pm. Every week. No lie.

    ReplyDelete