Sunday 30 September 2007

Accents

Lovely 'suite mate' Dana, is an actor, singer and lots of fun. She is trying to perfect her English accents and so often repeats what I have said when I say it. This is usually fine with me, but occaisionally it winds me up. My other suite mates have told me how much they like my accent too. But it can be problematic, I know its hard for a lot of people to understand me, and I do have to repeat myself to be understood a lot of the time. I've found myself saying 'Hi', 'Yeah' and 'Thanks' in an American accent, particularly with people I do not know, just passing by, to avoid confusion. Last night I practiced my American accent with my suite mates and I spoke for a while with it. They were all telling me to shut up and stop it, and I thought it was because it was so crumby, but it was because they did not want to hear me not using my normal English accent, although my American was thoroughly plausible! Ha ha! Today one of Dana's associates (she would not call him a friend!) started to mimic what I was saying, which, when you do not know someone is very annoying. In protest I started speaking in my American accent and said I would continue to use it if he continued to mimic me! That shut him up! Ha ha!

1 comment:

  1. When I visited America, 20 years ago, I had to repeat the words "vegetarian pizza" to the woman working at the LAX pizza restaurant 5 or 6 times before she understood me.

    People kinda liked my accent then (oh yeah, it's also when I first started saying "kinda". And "hi"), but most of them assumed I was Australian (the film Crocodile Dundee had been a big hit not long before).

    ReplyDelete