Thursday 25 March 2010

The End

Remember the gig we went to, before we left LA?  We were able to get free tickets through Tim McCall, Jarvis Cocker's guitarist, to see Jarvis at the Wiltern.  It was an amazing gig.  It made us feel that to be a Sheffielder was something.  Maybe.  It at least helped our move from LA.

Tim McCall became a father for the first time in January.  Two weeks later, he fell and died at home. He was 37.  I did not know Tim McCall, save speaking to him briefly, I mainly know him through Husband.  But his death is one of the saddest things I have ever known.

We went to his funeral on 1st March.  The great and the good of Sheffield's music scene (including Jarvis) were there.  I saw famous people.  But that was no relief or consolation.  Not even for the shallow part of me.  At the start of the service, as the coffin was carried in, The Beach Boys sang 'God Only Knows'.

And that, my friends, is a fitting place to end.  For me, a powerful reminder that all that we can do with this life, is to seize the day. Because after that, it is all over.

RIP Timothy McCall 1972-2010

No comments:

Post a Comment