Wednesday 17 October 2007

Forties and Suitemates

Cultural references in American music, films and TV don't really come with an explanation or dictionary for British audiences. I find myself suddenly 'getting' so many of those references now. Like the phrase: 'Blunts, 40s and bitches'. This is really a phrase praising a 3 lifestyle choices. Let me explain, a 'blunt' is a hollowed out cigar filled with marijuana, 40s are very large 40 liquid ounce beer bottles, and bitches, obviously are easy ladies. I suddenly got the meaning of this phrase the other day, as suite mate N was telling me about a drinking game, 'Edward Fortyhands', which involves two 40oz beer bottles being gaffer taped to your hands and not being removed until you've finished them. N likes this game. It makes him sick. N is an undergrad. The only one in the house. When he comes out with these stories, the only thing you can do is sigh, 'You're SO undergrad'. Funnily enough, he's a pretty intellectual, politically aware person. I think he feels the pressure of his peers.

Achraf is from Morrocco. He is very softly spoken. He has long hair and quite femine features, but in a way that works. He is in his second year, and so he is a familiar face on campus. This means, it is not uncommon to hear the phrase, 'You live with Achraf? He's beautiful'. Achraf thinks this is immaterial, however, he does concede his own beauty.

Ben is out at his studio the majority of the time. He is great though. Nice boy. Don't know him very well.

Those are the three males of the house.

Dana is dramatic. But she is loveable. She gives a lot of love and needs a lot of love. She gives this house a fantastic warm vibe. She is a lot fun and she is out now as I type and it does feel empty when she is not here.

A. I am not sure how to sum her up. She is the most socially awkward of the suite. Dana suffers a lot from A. A has appeared to be unhinging to a considerable degree this last week. It's not been very nice.

The way that the group dynamics have been impacted by A's behaviour has been of great interest to my former-Big Brother addicted self. As all BB addicts are aware, groups construct themselves into a family. A father figure/alpha male is deferred to for advice and asked to resolve conflicts and desputes. Its become obvious that this title goes to N. (The Undergrad). A mother figure looks after general emotional welfare, domestic cleanliness and other matters that make a place feel like a home. Achraf confirmed that honour went to me yesterday when he said, 'You, more than anyone else here, makes this place feel like home'. Dana is the joker, the person who maintains bon homie amongst the group. And BB addicts know that the joker is more often than not, the winner. The three of us are really aware that A's erratic behaviour needs to be controlled, and we are all trying to work out which of us is to act. (I think N should do it). We may have to take action as a united unit.

It is bizarre to me to be around so many people. In fact, I did not think I had it in me to deal with this type of set up. But I can, and actually I like it. I'm part of team. Who'd have thought it?

No comments:

Post a Comment