Friday 2 November 2007

Halloween Nerves

Leslie Dick, the Freud tutor, is fantastic. Love her. Today she told us how her middle name is Matthews, thats 3 male names. A student a few years ago thought she had changed her surname in a gesture to re-claim her lost penis (Freud people will know what I mean). But no, its her father's surname. Last week her phone went off, ringtone = Gnarls Berkley, Crazy. And she has an Orla Kiehly bag. We started on Lacan today. He's a refreshing change from all that Freud reading. I had no idea he was such a cad, dandy and rebel.

In American English the word 'redundant' means repetitive.

I bought an outfit for Halloween. An $8 above the knee black jersey dress and fake blood. I'm going as Velma Kelly from Chicago - remember the line in it where she says she didn't know her sister and husband were dead until she was washing the blood off her hands. But basically I'm not into dressing up. Totally nervous about the whole thing, they are meant to be debauched over the top affairs up here. They are legendary. I was talking to an Irish girl yesterday who is in her second year, and I was saying how I know feel I've acclimatised, and she said she felt the same way about this time last year, then going to Halloween put her acclimatisation back a few months. She didn't go into details, she didn't want to scare me too much. The party is tomorrow night. So next time I blog I might be traumatised.

When I was staying at Alexis's in Hollywood I went to a diner for dinner and had eggs, bacon and pancakes. Once I had finished that lot (I was sitting by the counter by the way, as Alexis already had plans to go to her friend's grandma's birthday meal) I got up and picked up the menu to select an milkshake, and a girl had just walked in, and was expecting that I was going to hand her the menu. I didn't. But for about 30 seconds we stared into each other's faces. She was smaller than me, wearing a denim jacket, she was about a size 0 and looked like she needed a good meal. She had my hairstyle, and her hair was my hair's natural colour. It was Christina Ricci.

1 comment: